GPS signals have to be transferred from the antenna to a control room in mobile networks architecture. Sometimes, the physical distances are more than a few kilometers which preclude the use of coax cable due to high loss. Minimal fiber infrastructure drives mobile companies to use the same infrastructure for GPS and digital signals using WDM technologies.
The GPSoF solution of RFOptic allows signals to be carried from an antenna to a GPS receiver over fiber with minimal signal degradation. The GPSoF connection operates at low signal levels, e.g., directly from the antenna to the network in case of GPS. The Tx unit uses an optical transmitter to convert RF to Optical signal. The Rx unit converts it back to RF signal. The two units are connected through the customer’s single mode fiber.
The RFoF links are designed to offer a low noise figure by integrating a built-in LNA in the transmitter and post amplifier in the receiver for these low level signals. A built-in bias-T is also available to power an additional front-end if necessary. The module is offered as RFoF in a compact aluminum case for indoor applications and in suitable outdoor enclosures.
The RFoF modules have a relatively high gain (about 40dB) with excellent gain flatness, and a low noise figure (thanks to the integrated LNA in the transmitter), and high SFDR. In addition, their power consumption is relatively low. The standard optical connector is FC/APC, with SC/APC being available upon request.
- Next generation RFoF modules with significant performances improvement.
- Supports to 0.5 MHz – 2.5 GHz. (100MHz to 2.5GHz with standard Bias-T option)
- Excellent linearity, excellent gain flatness, and Tx, Rx and link gain control.
- Noise Figure better than 6 dB with LNA with MDS ~168 dB/Hz for very low incoming signals.
- Internal micro-controller and optical monitoring and control enabled by software.
- End-to-end diagnostics reduce installation and maintenance time, enabled by software.
- Gain variation S21(fo) of ±1 dB for 90° C variation, utilizing special algorithm.
- Remote Management by GUI installed on PC.
- Impedances of 50 Ohms and 75 Ohm.
- Bias-T (5V – up to 250 mA) – optional.